Friday, February 6, 2015

Gateway ML3109 upgrade to vista with CCC 10.2 SOLVED

xp support ran out on this old ML3109 Gateway I had a extra vista 64bit licence laying about so I upgraded.
below is how i got my ATI XPRESS 200M to load to the 10.2 Catalyst Control Center drivers.

you will need :

the 8.6 catalyst drivers from here:
http://downloads.guru3d.com/Videocards----ATI-Catalyst-(Modified)_c24.html
-- I picked the 64 bit version (the ones listed as DNA)

I also grabbed the updated drivers from here:
http://donotargue.com/2014/03/20/dna-drivers-database/

You will need to use the mobility modder to update the INF's from here:

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/tools (the ATI one)

start up the install on the first one and cancel after the drivers extract.
run mobility modder to update the drivers (point mm at the directory inside C:\ati that the installer made.)

you may want to do a clean deinstall of the drivers i use:
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

after cleaning install the drivers clicking on the setup.exe in the extracted directory.
if your screen flashes during install it worked.  You may want to upgrade to the latest if
you do catalyst control center is bugged and you will have to do a custom install and deselect
 the control center and the profiles before installing the drivers. with this old of hardware I
doubt it matters though I did because I am a completionist. updating your drivers to 10.1 will break
ccc after a reboot no way around this  I don't use the control center for anything and all the info you need
can be gleaned out of GPU-Z.

Things To remember:

The newest version if CCC that supported by MM is 10.2 (and the support for the chipset in the XPRESS mobility)

I tried to get vanilla 10.2 drivers to work and it failed. (including every previous increment going back
to 8.6 vanilla)

there's no reason to assume this wont work on windows 7. I have not tried it however.

another thing to remember is since you are using heavily modded drivers it may complain during
the install that you are using unsigned drivers just click install anyway.

playing around with other versions of CCC may be able to get them to work with with this i just
ran out of steam and I'm by no means an expert.

the stock drivers on gateways website do not work on 64 bit vista (even the ones flagged to do so).  I
doubt that they will fix this given the age of the hardware

I did the gfx install after upgrading to SP1, and then SP2.. But before turning on automatic updates don't know if you would have better luck with the Vanilla Drivers after updating windows.

this guy is awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNphHUeARqw

hope this helps.


No comments: